Thursday, February 21, 2008

L.A. Flora and Lessons from Ye Olde Vegetable Garden


One of the things I love most about Los Angeles is the staggering diversity of vegetation that is able to thrive here. On the east coast, once you had the basics on the local flora, the Oaks, Elms, standard shrubs, etc. , I felt pretty pleased with myself that I had a good handle and could name a species at the drop of a hat. That is not the case here in Los Angeles. I'm still dumbfounded and at times I'm left completely flummoxed by a new plant, tree, shrub, or flower after living here nearly 10 years. I've given up, but it's a surrender that feels good. Just learn something new and try to retain it as best you can. The excitement, mystery and discovery have more than replaced the wounded pride at having to say, "You know, I have no idea what that is!"

Last year I created a raised space with redwood beams in order to return to an old love of mine, vegetable gardening. There is something so hopeful, centering, and fulfilling in being the guardian of your own vegetable garden. The cycles of the garden tend to bring structure to my life, which at times can be busy, erratic, and lacking focus. The Spring brings new life, new ideas, and new passions. We plant those seeds and rejoice at the little plantlings making their way through the soil and soaking up the sun. I try to mirror this activity in my life during that part of the year, only instead of seeds, I plant ideas.

Summer brings forth an intense time of nurturing and growth. It's work. Plants are growing at exponential rates and expending a great deal of energy, and consuming a great deal of water, sunlight and nutrients. Once our ideas have sprouted, now comes the work of implementing those ideas or projects. It takes work, with lots of energy. It's the hardest part of the cycle for the vegetation as well as making our ideas a reality.

Fall, ah fall! Harvest time. Though we are blessed with a climate that allows us to harvest almost year around, I still like the concept of celebrating the reaping of fresh fruits and vegetables and savoring it. It's a time of apple picking, canning the bounty of the vegetable garden so you can have some during the winter. When we have been successful in the fruition of an idea that produces, it's so key to enjoy it. Celebrate it.

Winter is the time of rest for the garden. It's a time to take care of the basics. Nourishing the soil is so overlooked by gardeners as it seems the soil should do what it does every year. It's the forgotten element, but of course, like ourselves, is the most important. Rest, nourishment, and a time of reflection are key to the success of providing a fertile ground for our ideas, but like the soil, we often forget this most important part. We are in the winter now, like the garden, about to launch into the Spring of new ideas. Take care of yourself. Reflect. REST!

I'll be writing again, but more to the point and asking for tips about my vegetable garden, which serves as a really vital metaphor for structuring my own life.

No comments: