Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Importance of Volunteerism



The farthest thing from my mind is to "blow my own horn" when it comes to the volunteer work I've become involved in. Quite the opposite, it's what I receive in return that compels me to write about volunteer work and what it can do for you.

I've always felt a need to do something to help out in terms of those less fortunate than myself, but had several false starts. Volunteer work isn't always organized, can involve the same ego's and territorial issues we try to flee in our corporate jobs, and the same credit claiming and insecurities associated with it. So much so, that my first forays weren't the escape to utopia I thought it would be originally. I became leery of making any volunteer commitments and excused myself from being involved for many years because of those things listed above. What I came to realize was that those things didn't lessen my obligation to help those that need it, and that indeed, it was my own attitudes that really needed adjusting.

OBLIGATION AND WHAT IT MEANS

If ego, lack of organiztion, or issues of territory and credit claiming by other volunteers really was bothering me, what were my motives for helping out in the first place? Indeed, it was my own ego and "sense of justice" in how I was being treated or not being recognized that was blocking my involvement in helping others. How ironic. The problem was really within myself. Once I realized this, I set about to make a change, deal with my own attitudes and forge ahead with attempting to make a positive difference in other peoples lives.

REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

One mistake I made was assuming that there is always the same level of organization to volunteer work and that tasks are neatly defined. NOT TRUE! You have to navigate your role at times, and you have to be your own problem solver. Don't start this journey with the expectations that someone else is assigned to fix a problem, or should be. You have to be willing to be a "go-getter," problem solver, and do things yourself. Volunteers are just that, they are there giving of their own time and energy. Don't just report a problem to the head volunteer, provide a solution and your willingness to do it yourself. You'll soon see how this can break down so many barriers and encourage other volunteers to do the same. The whole attitude of the group can change and some great fellowship can follow.

WHO SAYS IT CAN'T BE FUN

I've gotten heavily involved in the soup kitchen and clothing closet for a local church. I love to cook. Though the soup was always homemade weeks in advance, and some packaged goods were baked on the spot, much of the food was packaged and merely discharged into a bowl. Then something changed. A Korean parishioner started donating fresh produce to the kitchen. We started preparing some hot vegetable dishes like ratatouille, brocoli with cheese sauce, mashed potatoes. Volunteers started showing up earlier, having a glass of wine with food prep became the norm, and now we are like a family preparing a meal for guests. It's kind of like "Iron Chef," you never know what's been donated and what you may have to come up with, but it's exciting, fun, and the fellowship among fellow volunteers couldn't be better! So now helping those to a good hot meal isn't the only great thing that we get to share, but we share our company and mission in a fun atmosphere of true support and friendship.

Once I adjusted my own attitudes and reason for helping, it seems now that I do actually work within the utopia I once thought it could be. Are there problems? Sure, but I wouldn't miss Friday night cooking with my friends and the guests we serve for anything. So it really comes back to what I'm doing for myself. Yet another irony!

No comments: