Monday, May 5, 2008

Garden Update - First Artichoke




Well I thought I'd post some updated shots of my garden, which is growing like mad. It is amazing how things kick in all of a sudden. The warmth we've had in the last couple of weeks seems to have injected a shot of furious growth.

I've already had many Arugula salads mixed with some Mescalin and French Sorrel. I love the earthy taste of Arugula and can eat that alone without any other type of green. I just mix a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, one chopped shallot, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. There is nothing like coming home, picking your own salad, rinsing it off and draining as much water as you can and then wrapping it up in a paper towel and letting it crisp for 5 or 10 minutes in the refrigerator. HMMMM.

HARVEST UPDATE

I was very excited to have eaten my first home grown artichoke. It's a miracle I ever harvested one for this reason. I must have forgotten that I had read somewhere that artichokes produce in there second season and thereafter. I put my artichoke in a large clay pot and watched the greenery take off. However, it was very water needy. It seems I'd forget it a day or two and it would wilt and look limp like the plant from "Little Shop of Horrors" before muttering "Feeed Meee." I kept up with this, but this year, I was getting a little weary of the hard work and no production. I have very limited space, so I thought I would be better served by putting a more productive plant in that pot. Right when I had given up and was about to take it out, low and behold, there was an artichoke bud! I couldn't believe it. What I thought was a big disappointment was turning out to be the most exciting thing I'd ever harvested.

I had great joy in watching it mature and even more satisfaction eating it. I simply halved it, steamed it in about a half inch of water, melted butter and chopped garlic in a sauce pan and dipped the leaves in. Then I got to savor the wonderful heart. It was simple and delicious. I have two more coming from the sides of the plant. I'm so glad I didn't give up hope and became more educated about this plant.

I've had my first zucchini, early this season. I am anxiously awaiting; French green beans, pole beans, Roma and better boy tomatoes, summer squash, Japanese and American cucumbers, and bell peppers. I need to put my eggplant in this Friday. If anyone has any tips, suggestions, or recipes, I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That artichoke looks amazing!! such a beautiful and inspiring garden :)